We use much and little with uncountable nouns.
much time little energy
we use a lot of/lots of /plenty of with uncountable and plural(countable) nouns
a lot of luck lots of time plenty of money
a lot of friends lots of people plenty of ideas
We use much/many especially in negative and interrogative sentences.
We didn’t spend much money.
Do you know many people?
In positive sentences a lot (of) is more usual.
We spent a lot of money.
He goes out a lot.
Little and few (without ‘a’) are negative ideas.
We must be quick.There is little time.
He isn’t popular.He has few friends.
A little and a few are more positive.
We have got a little time before the train leaves.
Do you speak English? “A little ”
When did you see him? “A few days ago”.
1.Put in much or many
- 1.Did you buy much food?
- There aren’t many hotels in this town.
- We haven’t got much petrol.
- Were there many people on the train?
- Did many students fail the examination?
- She hasn’t got much money.
- I haven’t seen him for many years.
2.Fill in much/many/a lot of
- Sue drinks much tea.
- We didn’t spend much money.
- We’ll have to hurry.We haven’t got much time.
- He always puts much salt on his food.
- I use the phone many at work.
- Did it cost much to repair the car?
- I don’t know many people in this town.
3.Complete the sentences. Use much or many with one of these words.
books, countries, luggage, people, time, times
- I don’t read very much.I haven’t got much
- Quick! We must hurry. We haven’t got much
- Do you travel a lot? Have you been to much
- She hasn’t lived here very long, so she doesn’t know many people
- Have you got much luggage ? No, only this bag.
- I know Paris very well. I’ve been there many times
4.Put in little/a little/few/a few
- Do you mind if I ask you …. questions?
- This town is not a very interesting place to visit, so …. tourists come here.
- I don’t think he would be a good teacher.He has got … patience.
- Would you like milk in your coffee? Yes, please …..
- Have you ever been to Paris? Yes I have been there … times.
- There was … traffic so the journey didn’t take very long.
5.Put in a little and a few + one of these words.
air, chairs, days, friends, letters, milk, times
- Last night I wrote …. ……. to my family and friends.
- Can I have …. ….. in my coffee,please?
- Are you going out alone? No, I am going with … …..
- Have you ever been to Rome? Yes, …. ……
- There wasn’t much furniture in the room – just a table and …
- I’m going out for a walk. I need ….. fresh ….